Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Week 5

We started this week out by wrapping up the 6 word memoirs and multi-genre projects. All students that worked on their memoirs in class finished, and some of those students also turned in their multi-genre projects that class as well. As I look back on this project, I should have more clearly stated the directions and requirements for the multi-genre project. Most students were right on task with their projects, but others needed to add writing and/or other minor details that were lacking in their particular genre projects. I proceeded to grade these projects based off of a rubric that I created specifically for this project; this way, if students get docked points they will know why, and will know what is to be expected for the next multi-genre project (projected to be due the 3rd or so week in October).

This week has taught me a lot about my students. I would say that I have pretty good relationships with most of my students, with the exception of a slight few who continue to challenge me and my patience. Regardless, I find that more and more students are beginning to open up and trust me more. I found that, especially in the essay that the collaborative students worked on, a lot of those students opened up with some pretty personal information. I am glad that these students trust me enough to share their personal history with me. A student in particular, was having difficulty with a assignment. When I pulled him outside of the classroom (and into the hallway) to ask him why he was so upset, he responded that it was the year anniversary of his father’s death, and we just so happened to be reading a poem that was about a young boy and his father passing away; needless to say this student was having a really rough time. After a pretty extensive conversation with this student, I discover that this student was also having school and current living-situation problems. I offered to help this student, and I felt privileged that this particular student, who is usually very reserved, confided in me; this experience also conveyed unsaid information on why this particular student seemed distant and apathetic. Since this incident, the student regularly participates in class and has made a real attempt to succeed in the classroom.

Coinciding with these new relationships, students are also participating more in class; they are less hesitant to do the assigned tasks, and more apt to participate in class. This, of course, does not apply to all students, but does include the majority of the students. As always, students are going to have days when they are resistant to do anything, but it is days (much like the ones I have had this week) where the students cooperate and are eager to work, that their best, and sometimes most personal, work comes out and really makes the not-so-good days all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment